Friday, August 10, 2012

The Naked Within

I called someone plainspoken today. I told her this was one of my highest compliments. I believe I've always felt this way. But even more so since 2008. Being plainspoken means putting it out there as it is. No fancy dress, no mask. 

I appreciate plainspokeness because it feels real and solid. Everyone I admire most in the world has this quality. That doesn't mean it is always easy to be the recipient of plain speak. It has a way of peeling back layers you'd just as soon not be peeled back. The naked within isn't always acceptable even to yourself. But I know for myself that this naked is necessary for me to go forward especially spiritually. 

I need to hear that I am totally in charge of myself and my feelings. I need to hear it loudly and likely multiple times. So the Universe has provided this message over and over. Infinite patience don't you know? Why is it necessary to know this? Because Friend, it opens all doors and windows. It gives the awesome gifts of freedom and choice. To know you are free, to really know it, is scary. To acknowledge you are totally responsible for your life, it's happenings and consequences, is scarier still. And for some people too scary. 

How would it feel to be at a point where you were able to acknowledge this but then have to look back at all the things that you blamed others for and have to admit it was always you? For some this is not going to happen at all. They will continue to be a victim. I am further down this road than I ever have been before. I am grateful to be going forward. I have my times though, when I fall back to victim and I know better. Somehow it is our first response to point the finger at anyone but ourselves. 

I read a blog post by someone making the argument that business owners are not responsible for failure of their businesses when things like bad economies and big box stores are involved. The blog went on to offer up the example of a woman who made a firm and clear decision about what she wanted in her work life. After the decision was made she threw herself into the task of study and preparation (focus in new age speak) and it shouldn't be surprising to anyone that the woman achieved her desire. I am sure this woman had hard days. Days where she thought she might have to give up. But a clear vision of what she wanted and purposeful focus ultimately led to success. Success on her terms.   

You don't have to be Pollyanna. Indeed, I think it would be harmful for the success of a vision to be so positive you close yourself off from alternatives that might serve you. And face it, sometimes a good cry and a bout of self pity are what it takes to get through the day. But putting the blame on things or people outside yourself is not the answer. The economy is what it is. Big box stores are successful because they offer goods that people can afford and they employ others. If your business failed, mourn it -but don't think your effort wasted. What was learned? How can it benefit you?  

Mike Dooley says that something unexpected or unwanted is a bridge to what you do want. Until you cross the bridge you can't look back and see that this was so. But if you keep on traveling you will be able to. I had something happen to me in 2008 that rocked my world. I thought my life was over. But what it was was life pulling me forward. Today I am at a place I never thought I would be. I have traveled over the bridge. I can look back and see how today came to be. I am not Pollyanna. I mourn what was. I cry and despair at times. But I have made a promise to someone to keep traveling. I intend to, and on my way, enjoy the scenery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment